100 times healthier!
We interrupt our regularly scheduled newsletter to celebrate our 100th issue! In late 2015, we had this idea to create a way to have simple health tips delivered to you every week and the rest as they say, is history. 100 issues later- we have appreciated all the positive feedback, suggestions and questions!
In honor of our 100th issue, I thought I would offer tips on how to live to be 100:
- Laugh….a lot. People who laugh often are connected to the joy of living and tend to not take everything so seriously. One of the benefits of technology is that we can watch funny movies and shows anytime we like-take advantage and find something that makes you laugh out loud!
- Balance your food, get connected to what you eat, enjoy lots of plants and make room for well-chosen pleasures for special occasions. Research shows that a Mediterranean type diet is optimal but even with that as a foundation-create some delightful pleasures that you enjoy.
- Move it, Move It! The more we move, the healthier we are-there is no doubt about that. It is not required that you join a gym but finding ways to stay strong and flexible are key. Rhumba, walk, swim, do yoga, climb stairs-find a way that you like to move your body. Make that connection every single day.
- CHILL out more! Stress is such a drag on your whole body. Mark Twain famously said, “I’ve had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened”. If you are a worrier, take steps to let go of that habit. Letting go of stress creates ease in the body and reduces inflammation.
- Find Passion: Having a purpose or feeling like you do something that matters keeps us in the game. Whether it’s a charity, job, hobby or church group- it doesn’t matter. Being part of something that gives your life meaning will add years to your life.
Simply Easy Tip:
Choose one of the above and make it part of your life!
In the spirit of longevity from the Mediterranean diet-add more Omega 3 fats. ProOmega provides exceptionally high levels of the omega-3 fats EPA and DHA. It is ideal for people wanting high intensity, therapeutic support in a smaller serving. Our most popular concentrate, ProOmega has been shown by original research to support healthy lipid levels in professional athletes, bronchial health, and the body’s ability to respond to stress in a healthy way. To order ProOmega, you may contact our friendly front desk team at (860)519-1916 or email Info@IntegrativeWellnessAndPT.com or you can click on the link above.
Simply Delicious: Greek Salad with Avocadoes
In the spirit of longevity from the Mediterranean diet, here is a delicious salad recipe.
2 English cucumbers, peeled in stripes and cut into ½ inch slices
1½ pounds small tomatoes, I use cocktail tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1½ cups kalamata olives, pitted and halved
¼ cup Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 avocados, pitted and cut into chunks
1 cup feta cheese, broken into large chunks- can use goat/sheep or vegan
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons sugar or honey
1 teaspoon each of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large serving bowl, combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives and parsley. Place the avocado in a small bowl and set aside.
In a small canning jar, combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, sugar and salt and pepper. Top with the lid and shake well until blended and emulsified. Season with more sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
Pour 1 tablespoon or so of the dressing on the avocado and gently mix to coat. Pour the rest of the dressing on the cucumber mixture and toss to coat. Add the avocado to the salad and top with chunks of feta cheese, and serve.
As the salad sits, the juices from the vegetables will release, adding to the amount of dressing. If you prefer, reserve some of the dressing and add only if needed for more moisture.